Wednesday, August 03, 2005

The World of Young Adults

In the literature on parenting and understanding the world of teens and young adults, there are plentiful books speaking to specific issues. Some texts deal with both genders; others treat just one gender.

Lisa Machoian is the author of "The Disappearing Girl:Learning the Language of Teenage Depression".
This is an extremely well written book with a cogent study of the pressures and concerns facing young women today.

For example, why do some kids abuse themselves- cutting or indulging in eating disorders?

Machoian quotes a girl who says that " ...OK; cutting gives me a reason for people to listen to me. But I don't think about it consciously; it's subsconscious. If I cut, I'm not saying,'Gee, I want them to talk to me.'"

... "When I feel like nobody cares, I cut myself because I think I'm not worth it, and then I take everything out on myself"... Page 32.


This is a book that parents and their children can both benefit from reading and discussing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think sometimes girls cut themselves just to feel something. Depression is like being enveloped in a huge cotton ball. Your senses become dulled and everything slows. As the depression grows and builds on itself you might try desperately to jolt yourself out of your cocoon of numbness. Cutting would temporarily accomplish this.

Anonymous said...

Well done on a nice blog Blogger. I was looking for information on depression treatment and came across your post The World of Young Adults - not precisely what I was looking for related to depression treatment but an interesting read all the same!